Wedding dress blues


All of my attention at the moment is on completing my friends wedding dress.

Everything has been going along well and I was just bragging about that until......

*back story* my friend fell in love with a designer dress she tried on with me, it was a slight mermaid style with keyhole back and covered with the most devine lace. Now finding a lace that was not going to cost an arm and a leg but still has the desired effect was proving difficult. So we ended up with this embroidered organza the problem being there was only 5 yards and that's all folks. The final design will be an under dress with straps with the organza over dress that has the keyhole.
Mock up

So continuing on I had all my patterns set and juuust cut out the fancy fabric, then while contemplating seam finishes etc on my way down to meet some gal pals it suddenly dawned on me that I cut the organza out the same as the underdress without extending up for the keyhole. Argh how could I make such a rookie mistake. THANKFULLY I have enough left over and THANKFULLY the fabric is NOT a one way design. I managed to squeeze out correct pieces. 

It's not over yet, now cast your eyes back to the above pic. I took that so I could remember how the back sat and now the other off track rookie mistake I realised last night is the placement of the edge of the keyhole in relation to the strap AFTER I cut the second time, bugger. Hopefully the simple solution is to move the strap over just enought not to see it and not fall off the shoulder.

Moral of the story, don't get cocky it only sets you up for a fall.

I would like to ask about seam finishes for the organza. The obvious choice would be french but there are a couple of really difficult seams that won't suit french. What would be the next best, Binding?? 

Comments